World Folklore Meeting Slated for Apr. 16-21 in Anseong
Takes stock of 2012 CIOFF Anseong World Folkloriada
The International Council of Organizations of Folklore Festivals and Folk Arts (CIOFF) Korea and the Organizing Committee of 2012 CIOFF Anseong World Folkloriada will hold the 2010 CIOFF World Meeting at the Lake Hills Resort in Anseong, Gyeonggi-do, from April 16-21.
The upcoming meeting will bring together approximately 40 CIOFF officials, including CIOFF President Udomsak Sakmungwong, CIOFF council members, chairman of the CIOFF Asian-Oceania sector and members of the Organizing Committee of 2012 CIOFF Anseong World Folkloriada.
The participants will take stock of preparations for the successful hosting of the 2012 CIOFF Anseong World Folkloriada. The gathering will include the Council, Festival Commission and Working Group on Public Relations, Working Group of Folkloriada 2012 and the Asian-Oceania Sector Meeting.
The 2012 CIOFF Anseong World Folkloriada, scheduled to be held from Aug. 13-26, will attract about 1,500 performers from troupes from 50 countries. The CIOFF World Folkloriada is a kind of Olympic Games of international folklore and folk arts which is held every four years.
The purposes of the world festival are:
- bringing together people from cultures from all over the world
- promoting an understanding and appreciation of each other? cultures
- strengthening friendship and solidarity between people
- celebrating the national cultural heritage of each participating nation
About 400 people from 15 countries will assemble for a pre-festival slated for Aug. 2011 in Anseong.
The CIOFF is an international cultural non-governmental organization (NGO) in formal consultative relations with UNESCO.
Created in 1970, the role of CIOFF is safeguarding, promoting and diffusing traditional culture and folklore. CIOFF has the following objectives:
- Promote the intangible heritage through such forms of expressions as dance, music, games, rituals, costumes and other arts.
- Serve the objectives of UNESCO.
- Support the activities of its members and those of NGOs and all other institutions working in the field of cultural heritage.
- Serve the cause of peace through the above objectives. nw
The 2012 CIOFF Anseong World Folkloriada will bring about 1,500 performers from troupes from 50 countries. The 2010 CIOFF (International Council of Organizations of Folklore Festivals and Folk Arts) World Meeting will take place in Anseong from April 16-21 in a preparatory gathering for the Olympic Games of international folklore and folk arts.